Monday, April 27, 2020

Why "The Purple Pumpernickel"?

It was in the 80's that I remember sitting in a high school class room drooling over who I thought was Michael York, only to find out years later that it was Anthony Andrews adorned in velvet jackets, satin pantaloons, dashing frills and heels. Lets face it, in the day it wasn't the colour of his eyes, the curl of his hair or charming smile that made him dreamy. The Scarlet Pimpernel was old school.  A daring anarchist, gentlemanly, chivalrous and an intellectual hero that offered a little more than modern day six packs, bulging biceps, enviable hair and sarcastic quips. I can not remember when it was exactly that I realised the movie I had been referring to as "The Purple Pumpernickel" was definitely not the same movie, The Scarlet Pimpernel, I had watched during my teen years. It seems that getting the bull by the horns is something that I am not only prone to, but it just might be hereditary. My youngest little munchkin, God bless her, has fantastic hearing, unlike her mother, yet she is terrible at listening. A trait that even now, at 13, she has not improved on and is still prone to either just not hearing me or misunderstanding what I have spoken to her about due to a total lack of attention or care, I swear she has provided me with more grey hairs than the rest of them put together and she is by no means finished with me yet. Standing by the stove one day and my little Anni pipes up, she would have been all of 2 going on 3 at the time, "what are you cooking?"
"Nothin", I tell her, and her little eyes lit up as she most emphatically exclaimed just how much she loved "muffins." Que eyeroll. Her enquiry "What's for tea?" Met with one of my dads old favourites "a kick up the bum!" elicited such disgust as she explained to me that she hated cucumber buns.  All kids provide many little cherubs of somewhat misplaced wisdom, bless them, and what would motherhood be without them? In some ways I can look back at my own mishearing's and have a little chuckle. So why "The Purple Pumpernickel"?? Well I do try not to take myself too seriously and it kind of reminds me that we can all be a little silly and get it wrong from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment